Archived Blog Posts
If you have Spring Fever, and are cleaning and organizing, this is a good time for you to call the professionals at SERVPRO of Aiken.
Have you ever given much thought to your duct work, and the quality of air that is circulating in your home? We can handle that.
Have you dreaded cleaning your windows? We can handle that.
What about your carpet - is there a traffic path that's darker than the surrounding carpet? We can handle that.
How does your furniture look? Is there pet hair on it that you can't remove with your vacuum cleaner? We can handle that.
SERVPRO of Aiken has the knowledge and experience to handle your every cleaning need.
Call us today at 803-648-3936.
Top 5 Reason for a Home Fire
A fire, for the most part, can be avoided. No one wants a fire, and yet they happen every day. Here is a list of the top 5 reasons why a fire starts in a home.
1. Unattended cooking. It only takes a minute or two for burning pots and food to start a fire, and if you're away from the stove or oven, you may not know until too late that your kitchen is on fire. If you must walk away, be certain to ask someone else to watch the food, or turn off the burners until you return.
2. Heating. Space heaters - wonderful source of heat or supplemental heat, but they can become a danger when placed near flammable items, such as window treatments. If you have one that does not have auto shut-off when it is tipped over, be extra careful when placing the heater on a surface in your home.
3. Smoking in Bedrooms. Oh wow, did you know that 73% of all fatalities from a house fire comes from someone smoking in their bedroom? The burning can smolder unnoticed by someone who is asleep. The smolder can suddenly turn into a fire. When it comes to smoking in the bedroom - don't do it. It's hard to break a habit, but you can start a "new normal" and make a point of smoking in your kitchen, or better yet, outside.
4. Electrical Equipment. Check all of your appliances to ensure that none has a frayed cord. A frayed cord can start an electrical fire. The next most common reason for an electrical fire comes from overloading power outlets. Especially do not overload outlets with double adapter plugs. It's very risky and unsafe.
5. Candles. Candles are so nice to have - they smell wonderful, and give off a subtle ambience. As nice as they are, we sometimes leaves them burning unattended. It happens. We forget. Always blow a candle out when leaving a room or leaving the house. Ensure that you are not locating candles anywhere near flammable items, such as books, papers, curtains.
Be safe now and always. Think twice before doing something that could result in a fire.
Commercial Cleaning Services
SERVPRO of Aiken is well known for our Fire, Smoke and Water Damage Restoration Services, but did you know that we also provide many different services for businesses?
We clean Carpet, and all types of flooring. Hardwood, laminate, vinyl, ceramic, porcelain, marble, granite, Saltillo, VCT, slate, and concrete . We clean Upholstery, Windows, Blinds, Walls, Ceiling Fans, Light Fixtures, & much more.
No job is too big or too small.
If needed, we can clean after hours while your business is closed, so there will be no down-time.
Take a look around your office - is there a visible traffic lane where it is dirtier/darker that the edges of the carpet?
Call us today for all of your Commercial Cleaning needs 803-648-3936. We care.
Healthy New Year 12 Week Weight Loss Challenge
A group of Aiken SERVPRPO employees are taking part in a 12 week weight loss challenge. We are in week 4. The final weigh in will be on April 1st. To make things interesting, we have a system of "fees". There is a weekly weigh in fee of $1.00. If a person's weight stays the same, they pay another $1.00. There is a penalty fee of $1.00 per pound if weight has been gained. There is a $1.00 penalty if someone misses their weigh in.
The owners generously paid $20.00 per participant for the registration fee.
The First Place winner will receive 50% of the pot, Second Place receives 30% of the pot, and Third Place will receive 20% of the pot.
More information will be coming after the week 6 weigh in.
Aiken Residents: Follow These Mold Safety Tips If You Suspect Mold
SERVPRO of Aiken knows what to do if mold grows in your home.
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Aiken for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO of Aiken specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 803-648-3936
Household Cleaning Tips
Household Tips to Make Your Life Easier
1. How to Have a Sparkling Clean Blender
It’s easy to remove stuck-on stains by pouring some warm water, a little baking soda, and a little dish soap in your blender and pulsing it for a few seconds. Afterward, give it a good rinse or pop it in the dishwasher to get it looking like new.
2. How to Make Your Sink Shine
Sinks are among the dirtiest places in the home.
The solution? After sanitizing with an antibacterial cleanser, polish those faucets and tap handles with some wax paper. Not only will this help remove water spots, the wax will help prevent future stains, as well.
3. How to Clean a Coffee Maker
Our coffee makers can be a veritable hotbed of bacterial activity.
So, how should you combat all that bacteria? A monthly vinegar rinse should do it. Just fill your coffee maker’s reservoir with a few tablespoons of white vinegar mixed with water, run it, and run it once more with only water to rid any lingering vinegar smell.
Protect Pipes During Freezing Weather
Our recent weather has had us going from one extreme to the other. It's 70 degrees one day, and 30 degrees the next! We've had more than a few nights when the temperature was at or below freezing.
Be aware that freezing weather may cause frozen or burst water pipes.
TIPS TO AVOID FROZEN PIPES
If you are concerned about your plumbing pipes freezing, it is helpful to leave a faucet running - not full blast, but just a little faster than a drip. Leave cabinet doors open so that room temperature air can reach the pipes. Also, if you are out of town or if the home or business is unoccupied, set your thermostat at or above 60 degrees Fahrenheit. Additionally, you can keep pipes warm by wrapping them with pipe insulation; or in a pinch, use newspaper. If you have water supply lines in your garage, keep the garage doors closed.
IF PIPES ARE FROZEN (Not Burst)
If you turn on a faucet and only a trickle of water comes out, you may have a frozen pipe.
Shut off water immediately, as freezing may cause unseen cracks.
To help thaw pipes, apply heat to frozen section by using a heating pad or handheld hair dryer. You may also use a portable space heater, but ensure that it is kept away from flammable materials.
Once the pipes have thawed, slowly turn the water back on, and check for any leaks or cracks.
If you are not able to determine which pipes are frozen - if they fail to thaw - or if any have cracked or burst, call a licensed plumber.
Please see link below if you experience water damage, and call SERVPRO of Aiken for 24/7 emergency service.
Water Damage Tips
Is your business "Ready for whatever happens?"
It is estimated that up to 50% of businesses that close due to a disaster, such as fire and flood never reopen! Of the businesses that survive, the overwhelming majority of them had a preparedness plan in place.
Are you “Ready for whatever happens?”
Preparation is a key component for making it through any size disaster, whether it’s a small water leak, a large fire, or an area flood. The best time to plan for such events is not when the event happens, but well before it happens.
The SERVPRO® Emergency READY Profile serves as a quick reference of important building and contact information or can be an ideal supplement to any well-designed emergency preparedness or existing contingency program. Rather than simply reacting to disaster situations, most prefer proactive measures to establish a relationship with a restoration services company.
By working with SERVPRO® of Aiken to develop your personalized Emergency READY Profile your business will receive the benefit of over 40 years of experience in reducing the impact of any natural or man-made disaster. SERVPRO® is a leader in water and fire damage response and can help you quickly get your property back in working order.
Call SERVPRO® of Aiken at 803-648-3936 Today for a No Cost Assessment of Your Facility!
Restoring Your Aiken Commercial Property After A Water Damage Event
This water damaged office was caused by a broken toilet supply line.
Flooding and water damage events at Aiken commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of Aiken
SERVPRO of Aiken specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
When Storms or Floods Hit Aiken, SERVPRO Is Ready!
This flooded basement was caused by recent heavy rains and a faulty sump pump.
SERVPRO of Aiken specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition.
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
When storms hit Aiken, we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,650 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today 803-648-3936
SERVPRO of Aiken - Smoke and Soot Cleanup
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Aiken will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – 803-648-3936
Does Your Home Have A Mold Problem?
Mold can spread through a home in as little as 48 hours.
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 803-648-3936
24 Hour Emergency Water Damage Service
SERVPRO of Aiken is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help
Call Today – 803-648-3936
We understand that when you call us, you may be feeling confused, stressed, and vulnerable. You need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO of Aiken has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time. We specialize in water damage restoration—in fact, it's the cornerstone of our business.
What to Expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals may be needed.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:Your name and contact informationYour insurance information (if applicable)The street address of the water-damaged home or businessWhen did the flooding or water damage occur?What caused the water damage (if known)?Is there electricity available (on-site)?
About SERVPRO of Aiken
SERVPRO of Aiken specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.