Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
When fire hits your home, you may be in the market for a professional fire restoration team such as SERVPRO of Aiken. You may also be wondering what exactly our professionals can do to get your home back to pre-fire condition. Keep reading to learn about a few things you may be able to expect during this process:
Services That May Be Included
- Damage cleaning, including debris and water damage, clean up
- Removal of soot and smoke damage
- Personal item restoration
- Structural repairs
- Smoke odor removal
- Board up and tarping services
The End Result
While it might take some time depending on the damage severity, you can rest assured that your home can be restored to its pre-fire condition. Even unpleasant smoke orders can be removed. In most cases, a restoration team can conduct the repairs without causing to many complications to your everyday life.
Knowing what to expect when it comes to fire restoration in the home may help you be better prepared for the process. Many services may offer cleanup and board-up options, as well as the ability to clean personal items and the structure. The process itself may involve inspections, damage removal, and finally, any repairs needed. Trust our dedicated team to help you with some time, your home can be restored back to “Like it never even happened.”
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (803) 648-3936
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.